Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Centennial Continues Part 3




I have been having a lot of fun with the Cherokee Daily Times published in 1956. It was celebrating the Centennial of Cherokee, Iowa.
That’s the town where I was born. It was the only town I ever knew until I was in my twenties. My father worked at the Times for years, and my mother was born in Cherokee. My ancestors helped found the town of Cherokee.
Some of the articles in this special edition were just cute and/or comical etc.
SAME OLD JAILHOUSE:
Cherokee jail had last week more fixed residents to the square mile than any similar area in the county.
“The prisoners now in jail nearly escaped last week. A saw made from a bread knife and a file were the tools used and are now on exhibition at the sheriff’s office. “January 10, 1878.” You often hear jokingly about a woman putting a file in a cake for an inmate to escape. I have never heard of it in a serious connotation. Here is another article concerning a jail. HOW NEED WAS VOICED FOR A JAIL:
Whether a town be small, medium sized or large the law of averages will reflect a few “hoodlums” in every so-called Civilized society.
Cherokeeans in 1871 came to the realization that a jail was needed in the locality to provide a place for the criminals to be locked up, following arrests. Proposals suggested that the structure not exceed $500.
Previous to the building of the jail, law offenders were sent to the Woodbury establishment for their prison terms. Expenses for this were charged to Cherokee county at the rate of $1 per day for each jail occupant from this region. Woodbury County’s county seat is now Sioux City.
Poisonous Literature:
In 1878 it was reported that poisonous literature was probably in part responsible for the outrageous crime in New York, reporting that four boys were shot that year. Other cities like Boston also had deaths of a similar nature. It stated that hardly a day the telegraph did not report of these crimes. The newspaper called this kind of “trash” literature a toadstool literature which poisons the immature intellect. They also said that a crusade should be made against it until it is suppressed. It said that boys read this “stuff” and want to be pirates and robbers and live in caves.
And escape from tyrannical strongholds, vulgarly termed jails and annihilate minions of the law, alias policeman.
As I read this, I thought, “Oh my, I am so glad whoever wrote this could not see the statistics of New York murders now as well as the “trash” that young people read as well as watch on television.
I will hopefully bring you some more fun and/or interesting articles from this edition tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment