Monday, February 15, 2010

Our Weekly Shopping Trips

Good morning! I read/follow a lot of blogs that are written by young mothers. The posts take me back to my own experiences of course, but they also make me miss my grown up children. My daughter only lives five hours away which doesn't seem very far to people that can drive easily, but I cannot.
So what my daughter and I are doing now on Saturdays is imaginary grocery shopping together. She will call and say okay mom, get your coat on, I am ready to go. So of course, I get my coat on and after telling me repeatedly to hurry up, we laugh and I get in the car.
The next thing that happens is that I ask her where we are going. She tells me the names of the stores where we are going. Inevitably I tell her they are too expensive she should shop some where else and she tells me to be quiet or she doesn't think so, or she is not going to go to four different stores; she has six children and a husband at home that want her to hurry up. We laugh and laugh and she tells me funny stories about what her kids said or did. It really helps me keep up with her and the children.
We can't forget her husband either. He is funny and says and does funny things. He is an excellent father and takes and participates in activities with the children.
My daughter home schools her children. Yes, she has a doctorate degree, but she says that the degree is not important. There are many parents that home school, men and women that do not have degrees. The kids get the individual help that they need and excell in their studies.
You have no idea how I look forward to our "shopping" trips. Oh, sometimes we squeeze in some clothes shopping too. The other day she bought a top at Walmart along with her groceries. I said, "Oh what will Mark say?" She answered me with a smart alec remark and we both laughed.
Our shopping trips last about an hour and are stimulating for me. I wonder if she realizes how much she helps keep me not only informed, but keeps me physically and mentally refreshed. She is still my little girl and I love her a whole big bunch.

4 comments:

  1. What a great way to stay connected :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw this is super sweet! You know here in GA Home Schooling is a BIG DEAL...everyone does it! Private Schools and Home Schooling because our State is not all that great when it comes to the rest of the United States.

    ReplyDelete