Thursday, March 11, 2010

"Elderly" Is A Relative Word!

I have been talking about our lake home in South Dakota. The basement or lower level, was not finished. The walls and floor were cement. I wanted everything painted. Oh my goodness gracious. I had never painted cement block before. I did the walls in two week ends and thought my right arm would fall off. Getting the paint to go into the little bitty holes in those takes forever. You have to roll the paint especially made for basements and then you have to brush the paint into the holes. THEN you have to give it a second coat to get what you missed the first time. There were several times when I wondered out loud since I was there by myself, if this was necessary.

When the walls were done, they looked so nice the floor was next. Once again a big job, but the floor was smooth and therefore, the roller did a good job. The walls were a nice blue and floor was a brown. I really didn’t want a carpet on the floor because of the moisture. We ran a dehumidifier all the time in the summer just because of that.

Because my mother was elderly and a little unsteady we put up a outside railing for her to get into the house from the outside, and another one for her to get downstairs.

I think her favorite place was the upstairs deck. I can remember fixing her coffee and cinnamon toast and putting it on a tray. I would not have to look for her. She always looked like she was just soaking up the sunshine. I was just sitting here thinking, “Awk!” she was only five years older than I am now. Oh, I miss those days! I would have been so much happier if I hadn’t turned that picture over and saw the date.!

No comments:

Post a Comment