Monday, March 9, 2009

My Mama's Purse





When I was a little girl, I was always amazed at what my mama had in her purse. It would now days be compared to let’s make a deal. She had everything I ever needed in her purse, plus some things that I didn’t want.
When we went to church she made sure I was squeaky clean. I was scrubbed to the point of pain. However, by the time we got to church my mother inevitably spotted some microscopic spot of dirt on my face. She would stoically open her purse quietly and get a hanky. Her purse always contained at least three handkerchiefs. One was always used for my face. She would discreetly lick it and then rub my face. I was always so embarrassed by this. I was sure no one else noticed my face, but mama sure did.
In her purse she carried her billfold, change purse, pencil, paper to write on, pictures of her children, and a multitude of things she didn’t use.
When the deacons would come with their collection plates, she would get in her change purse and give me a nickel to put in the plate. I was always so proud to do that. My father would put the money in for the family other than my nickel.
Mother also carried church programs in her purse and would refer to them from time to time. I always wondered why. I think now that I am older she would refer to the minister’s sermons.
On really good days, when the sermon was boring to a little girl, my mother, with a set face, would give me her pencil and a small piece of paper to write on. When we got home she would test me on the contents of the sermon. Most of the time I couldn’t give her answers to her questions. Then the paper and pencil was slow coming the next time I would fidget in church. I would have to pay attention.
When I became a grown-up I still depended on my mother’s purse to contain materials that I needed. Her purse still contained hankies to the day she died, but she also carried small packages of Kleenex. Progress had changed my mama’s purse.

No comments:

Post a Comment