Tuesday, December 31, 2019

New Year's Eve In 1952

As many of you know I lived in an old farm house in Iowa when I was a little girl. Iowa winters are extremely cold. On one night a year, I was allowed to sleep on a day bed in our dining room where the coal stove was. That night was New Year's Eve.
For Christmas the year that I was eight years old, my mama made me a pair of pajamas from scraps of flannel that she had saved over the years. If you think to yourself that sounds like Dolly Parton's coat of many colors, you would be close. I can remember that some pieces were red and white striped, and some were printed; nothing matched. The only thing that was the same was all the little pieces were flannel and very soft.
My pajamas had a large round wide ruffled collar just like Clarabell, the clown's outfit did on the Howdy Doody Show.


 Oh how I remember that night. It was so much fun. I had begged to stay up until midnight to usher in the New Year. My mother didn't argue with me a bit. My mother never let you just sleep on the couch. You slept on clean fresh ironed sheets, a clean pillow case and a soft warm quilt to keep you warm as toast.
I can remember starting a bit of a fuss because I was aware that my mama thought I would fall asleep before midnight, so she wanted me in my pajamas and under the covers.
My mom could tuck you in with her loving hands better than anyone ever! She tucked the pillow under my neck, then she slid the covers close to each side of me. She sat down next to me and said a prayer, then wishing me a happy happy new year. I smiled when she pointed to the clock that was hanging on the wall at the foot of the sofa. She said, "Now remember, when the two hands are straight up at the top the new year begins. She kissed me goodnight and turned out the lights.
Now come on, she knew I would be asleep in minutes, but what she didn't tell me was that they were expecting company and she wanted me asleep before they came. I was completely unaware of them visiting that night because of course, I did fall asleep. I was a bit miffed when I woke up the next morning because I missed watching both hands on the clock be straight up, but that is not the end of the story. The next Sunday night church service was a fellowship party. There were treats and laughter. I had never seen anything like it before. Church was usually a very solemn affair. All these grownups were acting like kids. Soon someone said, "Okay, everyone take your seats. Elsie, could you please dim the lights? We have a treat for you all. It's called a home movie. The other night Elsie and I went to a lot of your homes and used our new 8 mm. movie camera. Get ready for some fun."
Well I sure was ready. I had never seen a home movie before. Soon I saw some people on the screen that I  knew that went to our church. They waved and smiled. Then right before my very eyes was me! Me in my clown pajamas sound asleep. Oh I was so upset. Those grownups were laughing and joking about me and my beautiful pajamas. Interesting that was sixty-seven years ago and I still feel the hurt. I wondered how my mother felt. I wondered if she was in on the fun, or if she was a bit put out as she would always say because they were making fun of my pajamas.
Years went by and one day I remembered that movie and I asked her about how she felt about them laughing. She explained to me that when the camera was off they complemented her about what a wonderful job she had done on those pajamas. They had even said she should sell her home sewn things because she was such a good seamstress. Such different points of view. You just never know what is said and what is felt from two different stand points. Besides that, I loved my pajamas.
Happy New Year! I know many of you have new pajamas. Wear them with pride!

2 comments:

  1. I had never seen a home movie, but would never see a television show for three more years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Lu. You got all the cool clothes! As I recall, my pajamas consisted of my under shorts. Now that would of made a movie! Happy new year, Sis. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete