Thursday, March 19, 2020

Sunday Afternoon Drives : Burma Shave Signs

I don't consider myself very old, but by other's standards I'm sure that they do. Today I realized that they just might be right. Yesterday I took the lady that I care for to the beauty shop. (It's fine folks. We were two of four in the shop.) She was very quiet on the way there. I asked her what she was thinking about and she pointed out things that I had not paid any attention to. Why were the cattle all laying down? Why did some abandoned homesteads have so many daffidils blooming and others didn't?
I grinned to myself because I thought of myself as a youngster; probably about ten years old or so going for a Sunday afternoon drive. My dad always drove, mother pointed things out to  my brother and I as we traveled. I can remember roadside signs. They were called Burma Shave signs. I asked my companion if she remembered those. Oh she grinned and said, "I sure do, but I can't remember any of them. I wonder why they took them out." I said something to cover my ignorance like 'they had a big deal once about road side signs being distracting to the driveres.'. She thought that was a terrible thing to do, but it got me to thinking. Thinking for about three or four minutes then my mind was onto something else.

This afternoon I was mind reminiscing about our afternoon yesterday and happened to think about the Burma Shave signs and why they took them out. They were really fun for a little girl to read out loud and pretend to understand them. (Many of them I did not) So of course, I Googled the signs. This is what they said:
Burma Shave roadside signs were from 1929-1963. They were only enjoyable at the driving speed of 35 mph. What?? I only drive 35 mph in town.
Here is a sample of a Burma Shave sign. If you were so very old like me and enjoyed them like I did, comment and let me know if you remember any of them. Memories often make you smile you know. And in our crazy world we now live in we could sure use a few more smiles.


Will anyone say, what is Burma Shave?

1 comment:

  1. It seems the older I get the more pronounced my long term memory gets. Imagine that? lol I enjoy my childhood memories so much. It's too bad I can't tell my parents that. Hopefully they knew that did make lifetime memories for us to enjoy

    ReplyDelete