Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Leftovers






Have you ever forgotten something at the store to make something special? I just wrote a post about lists not too long ago. Yesterday I wrote about candy thermometers. I wanted to make peanut brittle. Hmm, well guess what, I had only dry roasted peanuts because I forgot peanuts for the candy.

Fran kept coming out to the kitchen not only to “help” but to give me “helpful” comments about the color of it especially. He had never seen peanut brittle a fawn color. He said he had always seen a chocolate color. I told him I had never seen chocolate colored peanut brittle. Things were getting a bit heated in the kitchen especially when the syrup was getting thick. He wanted me to dump it out immediately. On and on!

Well we chilled it out on the covered porch where it was 20 degrees. In a few minutes it shattered when dropped on the counter. And..I might add it is delicious. I think from now on I will only use dry roasted peanuts or for that matter, any kind of peanuts I have. Leftovers are wonderful! Oh I did find a recipe for using dry roasted peanuts, so I wasn't so talented, doggone it!

Just to show Fran how nice I am I got on recipies.com to see if ever in history there had been a recipe of molasses and brown sugar peanut brittle. They had a hand written cookbook from 1912 that was called Grandma’s peanut brittle. Of course, there was a lot of hooting and hollering from the “peanut gallery.”

No comments:

Post a Comment