Saturday, November 13, 2010

Music; The Therapy Of Generations






When I am sad, I listen to sad music. What kind of sense does that make? When I am happy, I listen to music I could dance and sing to.

When I am missing people that have passed on, I want to hear their favorite music or music by their favorite singers.

When I want to praise God, I worship by singing my favorite hymns. Hymns that I heard every Sunday when I went to church with my family.

During sessions in the Alzheimer Unit during the years I worked with those people, music was the one thing they never forgot. I can remember one lady that couldn’t walk, couldn’t eat by herself, and couldn’t speak, but when I played a real good polka or a song with a strong beat, she tapped on her lap with her finger to the beat of the song. Someone besides me saw what she was doing and said, “She’s in there.” I thought that was such an interesting observation. Yes, she was “in there” by the music allowing her to show others and to make her quietly happy.

Right now I am playing a cd that Fran and I made a couple of years ago. It brings back memories of how much fun we had making those. He also made a cd of his own. I had him sing over forty songs until I thought it sounded good. He was almost hoarse. Well, we sent them out for Christmas presents. Among other problems, our bird Mertie enjoyed the music and just sang and danced. We got a call from one of Fran’s daughters and wanted to know if we had a bird. We were so used to him chirping that we didn’t notice that he was chirping on the cd music. We laughed, but decided that we needed to cover him up next time we recorded. At least Maggie didn’t howl. That would have been embarrassing. Oh, we also talked and coughed during the music. Oh well, we had fun.

Taps also bring tears to my eyes. The children’s father had a military funeral. The notes are ones of loneliness.

Rock and roll music bring back images of Dick Clark, and our youth center when I was a teenager. The song, “In the Mood” brings to mind my high heels and chiffon dress in a huge ballroom dancing until my feet felt like they were going to fall off.

The kids’ dad called slow songs “belly rubbers.” See how many things that are brought to mind by not only hearing music, but just by thinking of it.

What comes to your mind when you hear a song, did you dance to it, did you hear it in the car, a movie, a 33 record, a jukebox? I would be really interested. Can’t wait to hear from you!!


2 comments:

  1. I remember fun times at the piano with YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think that our generation grew up with the best music, I love classic country and it reminds me of my Mom and how when I was little she would be doing housework and we would always have the radio on and singing along....I miss her very much, as a teenager we hung around the bowling ally ( Palace Lanes ) most of the kids would go and bowl but I hung out at the Jukebox playing and singing along with the songs I loved....

    ReplyDelete