Sunday, May 20, 2012

How Much?????

My husband and I went to a benefit auction yesterday afternoon for a friend of ours that was in a head on collision. She was so fortunate to live through it. She will have to wait for weeks/months for the law suits to go through.
Any way, there was everything from soup to nuts for sale. I was surprised as was Fran that were so many baked goods. The pies up for auction were just beautiful. I have not seen such pies since my mother was  able to bake.
My best friend loved gooseberry pies.  If any of you have ever made them they are so time consuming. They have little bitty stems that need to be plucked out before baking. I remember buying my friend a gooseberry pie for Christmas years ago. It cost almost $30. I about fainted, but she was worth it.
Fran and I both enjoy auctions, but Mr. Hubby about flipped out when the bidding went to $135 for that gooseberry pie. Several other pies were bid up to over a hundred dollars.
It has been a long time since I have laughed so hard. Our friends were having a ball outbidding each other. When one person won, they would all clap. Fran said, "I think I will send you home to bake some pies." The one plate of cupcakes that a ten year old made sold for twenty five dollars.  Many things sold way over retail price, but it was all for a very good cause.
They had a really nice set of folding chairs that I got for twenty dollars for our shelter. They are black(which I cannot see) with yellow seats. That I can see very well. So we are very pleased. I think they were the last of the things to sell and people were broke and tired. The auction lasted about three hours.
They also had an all you can eat buffet. So......I didn't have to cook!!!
Today the phone rang and I looked at my caller ID and it was my cell phone number. Yay! he got a signal inside the shelter. Things seem to be going our way. Now if we never have to use it, I will be extremely happy. 
Happy summer, everyone!

1 comment: