Friday, July 16, 2010

The Lights Went Out In Missouri

Last week-end I was driving home from the karaoke club. We were almost home and I dimmed my lights for an oncoming car. All of a sudden my lights went out; I played with the dimmer switch and then the signal lights came on, then the lights went out, then the lights went on bright.

I finally got the high beams to last long enough to stay on long enough for me to see a teeny tiny place for me to pull over. In the meantime, my loving husband’s voice had a shrill sound to it. “Do this, do that” etc. I love him to pieces but not when I have no headlights and he seems to have assumed that the light situation was my fault.
According to God’s plan there swiftly appeared bright red, white, and blue lights blinking in my rear view mirror. The gentleman was very kind. I told him I was scared to death because of the absence of light. He chuckled and said he had seen my lights blinking. This is a small town police office statement, “Well, I have nothing else to do right now, would you like me to follow you home? It was almost one o’clock in the morning, and he had about three miles to follow me. Leave it to me to tell him how to do it. “Quote from me: “Don’t follow me too close, I don’t like that!” That sweet man followed about a quarter of a mile back of me. How sweet is that?
I have this feeling that he probably told his wife when he got home that he helped this “little old lady that was scared half to death. Probably because she turned the light switch off.”
When we got home hubby dear looked, and sure enough I had turned the signal lever to parking lights. They just don’t put out much light at all.
Then I looked out the window about ten minutes later and the lights were still on. I had turned the switch OFF automatic. Oh brother and I DO NOT look like a little old lady when I look in the mirror either! Why can’t the dimmer switch still be on the floor? Times were so easy then.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, Kiddo. But it's not just little old ladies. I had to pull over the first time I drove a Japanese car when it started to rain. Couldn't find the wipers - wrong side of the wheel!!! Glad you made it home ok, and I'm sure Fran didn't give you any grief at all, did he? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh, I know what you mean, I have done the same thing, and shut my lights off. I am just glad that my new car light come on all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I do stuff like that all the time! except for that part about telling cops what to do ;)

    ReplyDelete