Saturday, July 31, 2010

You Seem To Be Getting Around Pretty Good


Lately I would like to put how I feel on my sleeve. Have you ever gone to Walmart or Target and see people walk to their cars “just fine” and get into a car marked with handicapped tags. Remarks fly, if not remarks, thoughts. Because people don’t look like they are handicapped does not mean that they are not.
Definition of handicapped: In a wheelchair NOT necessarily : loss of limbs NOT necessarily on the list goes. Those of handicaps are those that can be seen by the healthy people. I wonder if anyone has ever given a thought to heart problems hmm. I don’t think heart trouble shows does it? People with extraordinary lung problems? I don’t think that shows either unless it is so bad they are stooped. I am not sure, but I don’t think that cancer shows.
Yes, there are always going to be people that park in the handicapped areas when they are just fine, but please don’t judge a person by how they look. I have M.S. I don’t look sick at this point. But I am, Oh yes I am. Poor thinking, shaking hands, can’t find the right words, can only walk a few feet, the list goes on, but the list is much shorter than it used to be. M.S. is a very odd disease. You just never know. There are some days I don’t need a handicapped space and  I give it to someone that needs it worse than I do. Yes, some days people say, “Well you seem to be getting around pretty good!” There are times I am, and times I am not, even if it doesn’t show.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea. My uncle has MS. it is a strange disease. Some days good. some days terrible. Hope you have more good days than bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cookie! Indeed it is a strange disease. For 15 years I have been refusing treatment because of unknown side effects of the medicine. Twice I lost my vision, for awhile I was in a wheel chair and on and on. I get tired easily but I am so fortunate.

    ReplyDelete