Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Best Friends


Will Rogers once said “A best friend is someone that knows you and likes you any way.” I always thought that was very true.
I have a best friend that has been just that for seventeen years. We have seen the very best and the very worst of each other the whole way through. People always thought we were sisters. We generally wore our hair somewhat alike and the same color. She was a little taller, but no big deal. We laughed and cried together a lot. We certainly did not agree with each other all the time. In the good old days she would watch my back and I would watch hers. I think you know what I mean.
Our guys would throw us great big birthday parties even with bands once or twice. We were a fun duo.
My friend is very ill now which, of course, makes me very sad. However, she is still telling me what to do. She has taken that “seat of honor” lately especially. Every day it seems she has a list of things she thinks I should do.
Today it was an easy way to make pie crust since I am having so much difficulty with it any more. My hands shake so much I end up with half of it on the floor. She told me to buy a cheap refrigerated one. She also told me that it was very flaky. I did what she said, of course. I learned a long time ago, Carole Knows Best. Guess what, it took me about five minutes to put that crust together for a pie.
Hopefully, it will be a long long time that she will continue to hold that “seat of honor”. I still need someone to tell me the right thing to do.

2 comments:

  1. How sweet! i hope she stays around a lot longer. But really, I've been using those refrigerated pie crusts for years. they are great! So feel free to make a pie for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I knew that you would come and have pie and coffee with me I would make some for you and the little ones.

    ReplyDelete