Saturday, August 28, 2010

Antihistamines, Antibiotics, Shots, And Ice Cream


Once my children decided to make their journey into adulthood and go their own way, I decided that, yes, I was still their mother, but the extreme every day weight of parenthood was gone.
My children have been out of their childhood home for years and years. Two of them have given me beautiful grandchildren and one of them gives me regular hugs and visits and tells me how good I can cook!
Seldom do they ask for my advice, I know if they do, they will do what they want to anyway.
Well, Fran and I developed empty nest syndrome. We needed to be greeted excitedly when we came home. We needed a little cold nose to wake us up in the morning. Most of all we needed a little dog to make us laugh when she plays “soccer.” We needed a dog to buy surprises for and to feed tidbits from our table even though she shouldn’t have them.
I have written several stories about Maggie May and posted lots of pictures of her.
This week Maggie is sick. I have been beside myself. I have been crooning, holding, waiting for her to get better. Instead she got worse. I tried to convince Fran that she sounded like she had kennel cough. She was coughing so hard she could hardly catch her breath. The only time she is around other dogs is at the groomer. It was a long shot, but the other thing was she was sneezing all the time. Actually I am very jealous of her ity, bity sneeze. When I sneeze, it sounds like a shotgun going off!
This morning Maggie made a much needed trip to the Vet. She had a temperature, she had an allergy, and so she got two different kinds of pills and a shot of antibiotic. Poor baby!! We made a trip to the grocery store so that the pills will go down easier AKA ice cream.
I now have a “baby” to take care of again.  I worry now that I see her being lethargic (probably from the shot). Now if you don’t mind, I have to go take care of my little girl. She needs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment