Monday, August 23, 2010

The Life Span Of A Gnat

If you read some of my previous posts you will remember we had a lot of tomatoes in our garden. We would pick some that weren’t quite ripe and put them on a little table on the porch to finish ripening. Well, that was a mistake because the table had a varnished finish. Sooooooo the last of the in-completes had to come in the house to finish up. I never gave it a thought that some of those tomatoes had little splits on them or bad spots on the bottom that I couldn’t see. We used them as fast as we could, I made sauce, used them in salads, canned some of course, made goulash, spaghetti sauce; you name it.

We used all of ours. Then our neighbor gave us some of hers; now we have gnats!! Not just a couple. We now have swarms of gnats. We have not had a tomato on our counter for weeks. I have gotten to the point of spraying hairspray on them. It doesn’t kill them, but they stick to wherever they are when I spray them. I poured vinegar down the drains. I actually think that they like it.
I got on the computer and it said to punch holes in a baggie and inside the baggie to put a half of a banana. The gnats will go inside and can’t get out. Well, I just didn’t understand that would work. I know, it would have been really cheap to see, but I didn’t. On another chat room, someone said to get a spray bottle put water and just a little drop or two of dawn. They said it works because it is heavy and the gnat then cannot fly.
Today I have slapped myself in the face so many times I have a headache. I just cannot stand them! I killed them with my hand. I killed a gazillion of them with my Dawn dish soap bottle. It really does work. However, you do have to be careful not to spray next to where you are going to fix supper; the gnats want to help. You also don’t want to carry it into the place where your computer is. I put two towels over the computer so I could spray them. I suddenly thought, NO! I will ruin my computer. So that’s when I started to slap my face.
Last but not least I used my computer to see how long these blankety blankety blank gnats live…….I could not believe my eyes; FOUR MONTHS!
I counted it up the gnats should be gone by Christmas. They will either be gone or I will have stock in bananas and Dawn dishwashing soap and/or tranquilizers. They lay in wait ‘til I lay down for a nap. I just now had one try to crawl up my nose. I just don’t know how much I can take.
Isn’t it interesting that with every new year I learn something new because I experience something new.
I will have them gone by Thanksgiving!!

3 comments:

  1. Ok Sis...You got me on this one. I'm laughing so hard it hurts. I have tears!! I can just see you slapping your face and "speaking" to those gnats. I have to go to work. I can't take anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL -- you are hilarious. Now just think about this ... I had AT LEAST that many miller moths this summer and they are at least a 1,000 times larger than gnats and they fly right into your face and poop and pee on EVERYTHING (and it's RED!) and leave that brown DUST everywhere and hide in tiny places and when you turn on a light they fly out of those places and scare you. Now aren't you glad you just have those teencie tiny gnats to put up with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! We just got home from town and we had 4 gnats swimming in my coffee cup. YUK!!!!

    ReplyDelete