Friday, August 27, 2010

Who Needs Advice?

Some of you that are parents may or may not have asked your mom or dad for advice. I would love to know just how many of you heeded the advice of the “old folks.”
Many many years ago in a little town I lived in there was an old lady that babysat for every kid that was ever born there, I swear that was true. Her back was bent with age and arthritis, she had a very sharp nose, and to complete the picture, she had a large wart on the side of her nose. Oh wait her name was Hazel. I kid you not.
She welcomed young mothers to have coffee and to visit about all the little ones she had to care for over the years. She took in these children because her husband had died and pretty much left her penniless.
One day I decided to visit her because one of my children had diaper rash that was text book. The only thing that didn’t happen was a blister. She off handedly told me to make some oatmeal and let it cool to lukewarm and mash bananas in it. Of course, I questioned her about the rational. Very simply she said, “Well, girlie, if it is good for the inside, it is good for the outside.” I took my baby home and immediately made the “ointment” and within just a few days the fiery red rash was gone.
Now I question the young mothers out there would any of you try that, or would you go to Walmart or any grocery store and buy some salve for it?
I called my mother about it and told her that it worked within a day or two. She was quiet for a minute or so and said, “You know what, that mixture makes a lot of sense. I wish I would have thought of that myself.” Old wives’ tales people laugh at, often have an inner working theory that works wonders.

2 comments:

  1. I am not a "young" mother but I would like to answer your question: NO WAY! Take me to Wal Mart for some DRUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose you think that Desitin would do the trick and no mess! lol

    ReplyDelete