Sunday, July 8, 2018

Charlie Gets Involved in " Project Rhonda"

This story actually began in the late fall of 2017. I was in a discount store and discovered that they had four remaining box fans on clearance for $8.00. I just could not pass up that good deal; no matter I did not need a box fan.
Okay, I have now given you a bit of trivia you are all wondering what does that have to do with Uncle Charlie?
About nine o'clock in the evening the night before Marie's birthday, the phone rang; it was Rhonda. Why would she be calling if there was not trouble. I immediately asked her if everything was okay. She said, quietly, "I need a mechanic. We all knew that her air conditioner had gone out on the way up here so me, being naive thought it was the problem. Not the problem. She again said quietly, "I need to talk to Dad." When she was telling me the story after the fact, she said she kept remembering a sign she had seen in Branson at the Toy Museum. It said, "If it's broke, call Dad open twenty four hours.
The problem was extensive too extensive for me to comprehend. Her dad seemed to understand what she was saying. He called my son. He and Fran went to the motel where Rhonda and her family were staying.  My son called mechanics that he knew and also a garage that took one look at it and I'm two weeks out and I would have to order parts and besides that, I am not going to touch it. It seemed that no one in our small county would work on it. Her family was 751 miles from home! Rhonda's dad and my son had put her car on Fran's big trailer, so they brought it home and backed it into our carport.
 Enter Uncle Charlie. I thought I kept hearing him say Gorilla Glue, but just shook it off and went about my business.
When I came home from Marie's house there was the biggest mess I ever saw. I wanted to take a picture, but I didn't want to make Rhonda mad. I found out she was disappointed that I didn't. There were two box fans, Aha, my box fan that I did not need, paper towels, tools, and a myriad of car parts on the floor of the carport. At one point her Uncle Roger, Uncle Charlie, cousin Chuck, brother Joe, my son, her father, and of course her husband Brian were all entering into the project with a variety of opinions. They were working into the early evening and Fran just quit. He said, "I can't see in the dark, I've had a Crown or three, it's hot, and I'm done." Uncle Charlie came in the house and said, "I think I'll have a few fingers of your Crown now." Again I could have sworn I heard him say something about Gorilla Glue added with a chuckle.
Fran told Rhonda to take his pickup and take her family to the motel; everything would be fine the next day.
Charlie and I were having coffee on Marie's deck yesterday morning at 7:00 and Fran comes up the sidewalk and said, "Charlie, you and I are going for a ride." He looked at me with a look that said, "Don't ask," so I didn't.
Family was starting to leave and Rhonda was anxious to say the least.
Oh, but wait, I haven't told you what was wrong with the car and how the whole mess started out complete with sound effects
. Part 3 tomorrow if I can. I promise I will finish the story, but my time is not always my own. This was a 2 1/2 day project, so my story is rather lengthy, but fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment