Monday, July 9, 2018

Uncle Charlie Sees "Project Rhonda" Through To The End


Marie with Rhonda and her 2 great greats
Some of you may know that years ago I repaired appliances for Sears. I had my own truck, toolbox, and backup in my tons of manuals! What I did not have was confidence in my ability from not only my colleagues (men) and many of my customers. I was good at my job. What I did not repair was automobiles. I knew that they had a motor, needed gas and oil and occasionally a tune up. So when Rhonda and Brian's car broke down I did not have a clue what the part was that had given up the ghost; a harmonic balancer or something like that. I looked up the part on Google and this is what it looked like to them. It was good enough for me to understand that it had nothing to do with music. I really thought it would be spelling Philharmonic like in orchestras. Anyway this is a picture that would be similar to the part whose bolt flew out onto the parking lot.
Rhonda was trying to explain to me that she was driving back to the motel via the grocery store when she heard a wap wap tap tap sound. I know, you had to be here. She was not happy but did go into the store and was so upset she forgot half of what she needed. When she started the car again she portrayed a sound of a metal spoon whacking a drinking glass (ping!) At that time she actually saw a 3-4" bolt fly out of her car onto the parking lot. She got out or Brian did and got the bolt and actually drove the car a few blocks back to the motel and backed it in so that the motor would be accessible for her dad to help inspect it to find the problem other than the obvious.
The power steering had quit so she had to manhandle it, the alternator belt had jumped off, therefore, all the guages had lit up ultimately saying, "I am not working!!!" When they opened up the hood the pulley was actually sitting on the frame. It was a definite save!
This story could go on for pages, however, it was an ultimate "fixed it" so that Rhonda and her family did arrive back home last night safe and sound. What a relief not only to us, but to Rhonda's whole family. 
And, Uncle Charlie with his helpful supervision and ideas was able to be there for the turn of the key to a smooth running automobile. 
The fun part of this story if there is one, is that Rhonda's husband, Brian, and Fran, Rhonda's dad, worked as a team fixing Brian's car 32 years ago, even before Brian had married his daughter.
I wanted to tell this story because page after page of this long story could have been told in one word: FAMILY
Marie 103 to youngest 5 years old= family

2 comments: