Wednesday, July 11, 2018

S.A.M.A. (Stockton Area Ministerial Alliance)

This little thrift shop is not so little. It has long arms that stretch to the big city of Springfield about 50 miles or better away from our little town. Our area citizens donate and buy from here to help our needy people and to help themselves.
Our citizens in our small county are for the most part kind and generous to each other. Because of this many of our seniors and folks that need a hand are always welcome here.
 Fran and I shop at this little thrift shop frequently. We also donate to them whenever we have nice things, but don't fit! Hmm seems to be a problem of continuing to grow out of our clothes? We also donate household things that we don't need anymore. We just don't have parties, or company of groups of four to twenty- four for the most part anymore. I think that is the sad part of growing old. Outliving your most wonderful friends, family living far away, and  not able to drive to see them unless it's daytime, or the trip is divided into short hourly parts for us anyway.
My mother-in-law needed many things as her health deteriorated. She needed tops that could be made into a hospital gown type opening. She is a girl and I thought that she "needed" girly stuff to decorated her home and tables. I needed clothing that not only fit, but was easy to wear to take care of her and her needs.
One day I told my husband that I must be getting shorter. He asked why I thought that. My answer was "I have to stand on my tip toes to reach a coffee cup. The cupboard is almost always empty of cups in the front so I have to reach clear to the back to get myself a coffee cup."
My youngest son at times comes over for coffee and I have a feeling some of my cups may be in his shop. We also have a fifth wheel camper that we use for guests. I searched out there and there were not many cups in that cupboard either. You guessed it; Marie's house was short of cups also. We have a missing coffee mug mystery! (Not unlike missing socks in the laundry.)
So to the S.A.M.A. Thrift shop we go. I bought a dozen coffee mugs. I need tall mugs with wide handles so that my hand shaking doesn't lend to me spilling my coffee. They were a quarter a piece. I even bought Marie a cute Happy Birthday mug to help her celebrate her 103rd birthday.
So last night I again had to reach for a coffee cup. I said so very sweetly loudly, "Fran, where in the world are my coffee cups I bought? I can't find but two or three in the cupboard. Are they all in the dishwasher? (It was running.) Fran replied, "No they are out there." And that was the end of the answer. Well, I dug in my heels and said, "Where out there, I want a cup of coffee!" (Voice a bit raised.) The answer I got was an index finger pointing to the kitchen because he was watching TV.
I tromped out to the kitchen followed by Fran thinking I might be a bit P.O.'d. There they all were because he said he didn't know where I wanted them; sitting on a shelf above the microwave. Mercy!
I love my new cups that are now resting nicely in my kitchen cupboard.
I also love that Marie has new cups and now the camper has way too many cups. Just can't please me. Seems like I've heard that somewhere before.

No comments:

Post a Comment