Saturday, July 14, 2018

No Partridge, But It Was The 13th

My life is generally the same day after day. I am not superstitious so I was unaware that it was Friday the 13th yesterday. I only look at the calendar to make sure that I water Marie's Christmas Cactus every two weeks. I mark the dates of this task religiously. She warned me repeatedly that this must be done or it would surely die. Yes, it probably would.
We had her 103rd birthday party last Friday. I love baked beans and peach cobbler, so I had purchased gallon cans of each. When her brother and I attempted to open said cans, all she had was an electric opener. The job was not doable with an electric can opener. We needed the real deal! So I sent her grandson to our camper across the road to get us a manual opener.
 I had not cleaned her cupboard drawers. They were her cupboards and it is her home. But yesterday I thought she is unable to tell me to find her things that she needed anymore like she had always done so I decided to clean her cupboard drawers.
I filled an old plastic mixing bowl that needed a new home for the soapy water  I needed to wash out the drawers. Marie needed me so I left my task and was gone about 5 minutes. When I returned the kitchen floor was flooded. I thought, "What in the world!?" I thought for sure there was a plumbing problem. I quickly picked up that old bowl and emptied it in the sink. For some reason I held it up to the light. I circular crack all the way around the bottom of the bowl TWICE! How could that happen? The bowl found a new home alright, into a black trash bag. What a bother, now I had to scrub the floor with a whole big bunch of water. I let the floor dry.
When the floor was dry I resumed my three drawer job. Yes, folks, only three drawers. Top drawer was for silverware I presumed because it had a silverware holder in it. That was where I was always instructed to get the majority of her things that she wanted/needed. I knew that her straws were in there. Oh, such surprise finds did await me. There were a mutlitude of cheese slicers (6) and a many many things that I could not identify their use. They were all in their original plastic bags that they came in. The brand new inhabitants of Marie's silverware drawer were also accompanied by thank you notes. The notes were accompanied by Certificates of Achievement by many different charities. Marie believed in giving to children, the American Indians, to Disabled Veterans, and of course, the dreadful Publishers Clearing House. I say dreadful because the odds of winning the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes is almost the exact same odds as winning the Powerball Lottery per Google.
The drawer and silverware holder are all spotless and now holding appropriate pieces of eating utensils.
The second drawer was off the track and took me approximately ten minutes to get that fixed. Remember what day it was. It held a variety of tools, and larger cooking utensils. I had in fact added to the disorder that drawer was in because she needed bowl covers. So there were several of those that I had thrown in disregard to order. That drawer is now all clean and sorted.
The third drawer was the most interesting to me. It held 2 can openers!! A turkey baster, which we needed for our turkey on Friday. It also held, a variety of packaged cooking additives that were long out of date. She is a lot like my husband. Buy new something or other because you probably don't have it at home. I know this because last week I cleaned our cupboard drawers. Oh, my.
You probably would have shook your heads if you would have heard me talking to myself saying, "I wonder where the partridge is at." Nope, never found one.
This morning when I was fixing Marie's breakfast I was at a loss. All the things that used to be on the counter for fixing her meals were now hidden away in her cupboard drawers. What a nuisance! I will have to get used to my orderliness that's for sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment