Thursday, February 26, 2009

Double Trouble










Lu Anne Elaine! and Bonnie Jean! were names my cousin, Bonnie and I heard pretty much consistently when we were little. I think the ire of Mother and Aunt Nellie was pretty much Bonnie’s fault. I never ever remember being naughty, except for a time or two.
For instance the other day, Bonnie said, “Lu do you remember when we ate the tops off the orange frosted cookies that your mother had plated for the grocery store?”
I couldn’t have done that!! I honestly don’t remember. I can’t imagine how angry Mother was, but I am sure she used our whole names that day including our last name.
Bonnie was the exact opposite of me. She had beautiful brown hair and brown eyes, just like her dad. I had mousy colored brown hair and blue eyes. Bonnie got to wear pants and I did not. Bonnie got to live in the city, I lived on the farm. But most of all, she had toys.
When Bonnie’s family came to visit us, I was glad to have someone to play with. We would swing, and go exploring. I loved to explore. I don’t think I ever got into any trouble doing that. I am sure when Bonnie reads this, she will probably say, ‘Oh yeah we did” I don’t remember.
Bonnie had one brother, Jim. I had a little brother and an older sister. My sister was almost twelve years older than me, so by the time I was six she was gone. I am rambling, it is three o’clock in the morning, couldn’t sleep and got to thinking about Bonnie and the good times we had and the grief that we caused our folks. It was worth it Bonnie, that’s what memories are made of.
When you look at these two old ladies is it not impossible to even believe that we were naughty. I think we look like angels unaware!

1 comment:

  1. I actually see a little resemblance between the two of you.

    ReplyDelete