Thursday, February 26, 2009

Life With A Five Year Old Sister




I have taken care of three five year olds and it is not easy. I cannot imagine what it was like to live with me when I was five and my sister was a senior in high school.
I did not try to make her life miserable, but I seemed to manage doing just that on a regular basis.
I can remember just three separate events at that age that made my sister, Rosie, livid.
The first one was actually a name of a boy; Donnie Dyslan.
My sister had a crush on him. She would flirt and talk to him on the school bus. I had no idea what flirting was at my age. All I knew was that she paid absolutely no attention to me. I may have acted up a bit, according to Rosie, a lot. I can remember her complaining about me to my mom. Mom just smiled and told her I was just a little girl and pay no attention to me. Well, that was just what I didn’t want. My behavior got worse a little bit at a time. I can remember the kids on the bus telling Rosie that they felt sorry for her having a “kid” tag after her all the time.
The second event happened when she was dating her first husband, Kenny Byerly. He came out to the farm to pick her up. Kenny had acne. I had the measles. You can probably imagine what came out of my mouth. Remember, I was only five years old. I said, “Wow, you’ve got the measles too!” Oh I heard about that for years.
The third event was also on the bus. We rode the bus for about an hour to school. That’s a long time for a little girl who is full of cocoa or Postum and breakfast. You guessed it, I had to go to the bathroom in the worst way. I told Rosie that I had to “go”. She told me to hold it, I told her I couldn’t, back and forth. Finally she had to tell the bus driver, Charlie, that he had to pull into a farm house so that I could go to the bathroom. That was almost sixty years ago. The wrath of Rosie, and one of my most embarrassing moments; especially the walk back to the bus with all the kids jeering at me.
Rosie loved me when I grew up, but when I was five, she cheerfully could have traded me in for a new one.
When she was in nursing training in Sioux City she invited me to spend the week-end with her in her dorm. That was so exciting. They had something for breakfast that I had never had before. Chocolate milk that they had gotten at the grocery store, then they heated it up and called it Hot Chocolate. Mother always made cocoa for us out of cocoa. Rosie’s hot chocolate was delicious. She made me feel very special that week-end. She and I had both matured and were on our way to being good friends.

2 comments: