Monday, February 23, 2009

Memories Are Made of This.....




Not everyone is as lucky as I to have the memories that I do. I was reminded of that today as I read an email. I think that this story will awaken some memories for that old friend.
My family is extremely small. My father had one brother, Uncle Roy. His wife’s name was Nellie. As the kids say nowadays they used to “hang out” together.
We used to go to Sioux City and visit them. That was such a fun time for me. They had toys!!! I have mentioned before that we didn’t have many toys. I had two dolls and a stuffed animal called, “sleepy.”
When we went to Sioux City to see Uncle Roy and Aunt Nellie, we got to play with their kids’ toys. I will never forget as long as I live the toy Bonnie Jean had. It was a little washing machine that actually agitated. I could put water in it and it would wash doll clothes. I was and still am amazed. She and I would sit in the living room and “wash” doll clothes all the time our folks were visiting. Bonnie and I are only about six months apart, and for the most part, I don’t remember fighting and arguing. I think I actually got along with her.
What I don’t remember was what Keith, my brother, and Bonnie’s brother, Jim would do. I probably ignored them, or they were too little to do much.
Uncle Roy was a mechanic. I think he really enjoyed his job. My father wasn’t nearly as talented at “fixing” as Uncle Roy was. He would attempt to fix motors, but for the most part, he would have to have help on the tractors from the neighbors. My dad was a genius at inventing things. That’s another story.
I have so many stories about Uncle Roy that they need their own blog space. He always made me feel like I was special. He called Dad “kid” and pounded him on the back. He was always glad to see all of us. He had his own unique laugh when he was tickled about something.
I lived far away when I was grown and didn’t get to see Uncle Roy as often as I should have, but I do have lots of memories of him and will give him the space he deserves and warrants on Lu’s Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment