Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It's Just Not Fair




Many long years ago I worked with a sharp tongued older lady who was a supervisor in a retail office. I worked in another office, but our paths crossed every day. My office was concerned about the customer’s problems; hers was to sell, sell, sell.
One day I thought that she had done something very wrong involving a customer, and not only that, but was insisting that the rest of her staff do the same thing.
I told this woman that was just not fair to the customer and how could she do such a thing. Her response to me was, “Not fair” are children’s words. That really set me on my heels. I have never forgotten that conversation.
That has been almost thirty years. Well, I could not let that go. So I went way way way over her head. I got the problem fixed. However, when she did this again, I was warned that I would lose my job if I interfered again.
I quit my job; a job that I had worked at for thirteen years.
I felt like it was a mafia type business, and could not live with myself if I continued to work for a business that swindled customers.
Sometime later I heard through the gossip mill that that lady had gotten fired. That definitely cleared the store of any wrong doing. You know what? That’s just not fair, and that’s a grown up word.

No comments:

Post a Comment