Thursday, February 4, 2010

As I Get Older


As I get older one thing reminds me of another. Example: the other day we had a ninety nine cent pizza. It was a saltine cracker crust, had about four pieces of pepperoni that were the size of chopped pimentos, and just a sprinkling of cheese. Oh, I forgot to tell you, it was six inch by four inch in size. The box, however, was the normal size for a medium pizza. Needless to say, we had to get another one out of the freezer. While we were crunching the pizza (I should put that in quotes) a wave of memory over took me and I saw a pizza parlor in South Dakota. In the town I lived in there were only two pizza parlors. One was thick crust and one was thin crust. One was Godfather’s and one was Shakeys. Shakey’s had the crunchy crust and Godfather’s was the thicker one. The kids’ dad loved Godfather’s because he could get a bushel basket full of meat and vegetables on one pizza platter. The crust was thick on the sides and thin in the middle. You could get this huge pizza and a pitcher of coke for ten dollars in 1980.

I liked Shakey’s because it crunched and I have always liked crunchy things like celery.

I figured that Shakey’s had disappeared like other franchises like Woolworth’s. We were at friends’ for coffee the other day, and I mentioned the Shakey thing and he said they are still in business. When I got home the computer says there are still 400 Shakey’s still operating. You will be in for a treat if you can find one!

It was over thirty years since I have had one of their wonderful pizza’s, I am sure by now that they have thick, thin, meatlovers and on and on with choices just like any other pizza parlors.

Godfather pizza parlors that are still around get four and five stars. There are not as many as there used to be, but they have survived all the “newcomers.” Hmm, just like their namesake!

No comments:

Post a Comment