Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Special Place










My kids’ dad used to say, “if you want to see Lu happy just hand her a can of Pledge and a dusting rag. She will sing and hum and just be a happy little camper.”

Before I had a baby I used to spend a lot of time tossing throw pillows for just the right look.

After I had a baby I spent a lot of time picking up the sofa pillows and mumbling under my breath. I can remember calling my mother telling her how frustrated I was because my eight or nine month old had pulled Kleenex out of the box and scattered them all over the floor. My mother laughed at me and told me that someday that day would seem so silly. Well of course, it does.

Then I had two babies. Oh, what a difference that makes in housekeeping duties. I would pick up after one and the other one would make a mess.

Then I had three babies. My only saving grace was that the first baby was about eleven or twelve and helped me “pick up” after the little one.

After three little ones, my furniture was lucky to get dusted once a month. My sofa pillows were thrown away stiff with spills of juice and spit up and on and on.

I had hard wood floors when my little one was about a year old. I was still in the polishing mode. We used cloth diapers then. I saved the old ones for polishing cloths. I would put those on my oldest little guy with several layers of diapers. Then I would pour some liquid wax on the floor. He would giggle because he knew what was coming. I would grab his hands and away we would go! His little bottom made an absolutely wonderful “buffer.” What fun we had. I just loved being a mama.

Well, now forty years later, I could care less about dusting. Here is a cute quote from Fran. I was dusting the piano and he said, “Who is coming?” And of course, I said, “Hey I dust in-between visitors." He is so laid back and easy going he could care less. I wish he cared a little bit more then he could do the dusting. You know it is bad around here because I lost my Swiffer so of course, I could not dust. Ahem! We both looked and looked so I bought another one. I do throw away things  that I shouldn’t. About two or three days later I found the old one. They both have a very special place in my pantry. I just have to put the scheduled day to use them on my calendar. Not!


1 comment:

  1. My dh doesn't care about dust either. He cares about grass. lol

    ReplyDelete