Sunday, July 17, 2011

Antique, Vintage, Yummy

For Fran's comfort the last two weeks he needs softer food than normal. Therefore, we have been having pancakes for breakfast and soft sandwiches for lunch.
The maple syrup bottles get so sticky. Yesterday I was washing off the sticky syrup and a thought went through my mind. My mom made her own maple syrup about ninety percent of the time. She served it in a cut glass "syrup pitcher." I never gave it a thought at the time, but that pitcher never got sticky.
Then I had another thought. On the off days, mom would serve maple syrup out of a can. Yeah, out of a can. Funny she didn't have ants all over the place. The can was about the size of a can of shortning. I looked and looked in the history of Karo and they don't show cans, but huge bottles.
I went to E-Bay for vintage. I just hate that word, but, oh well, I guess that includes me too.
They showed several kinds of syrup cans, only one that resembled the kind that mom had. I just had a feeling that she made way too much and stored her left over in the can and may have put it in the ice box. To make a very short story shorter, it was so very very yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment