Wednesday, May 9, 2018

I Called Her Bag Lady

In 1986 my daughter introduced me to a gal that she worked with. Her name makes no difference, I called her "bag lady" because she carried the hugest bags I had ever seen off the beach. She could have carried her breakfast, lunch, and supper plus the next days outfit, and makeup with little effort.
I had an extra room, she needed a room. Boom, we were roommates. We had a ball together. She was about sixteen years younger than me. I needed a shot of youth at that point in time. I had her send me pictures of what she carries now, I didn't say anything, but these bags are tame compared to the ones of 1986.
That was a long time ago you say, yup, it was. But as the old saying goes, if you are really friends distance doesn't make any difference.
We talk on the phone about five or six times a year and of course, we keep track of each other on FaceBook.
7 months old
I was about forty-two at that time and was not up to date on the "scene" as they say. However, Bag Lady was. One night she said, Come on, Lu, let's go to Opies. I had no clue what Opies was, but I was game. She drove, of course, and soon we arrived and parked in front of this huge club/dance hall. I was shocked at the size of this building. We went in and the place was packed. I told her there was no place to sit. She looked at me and grinned and said, "Who cares, we have to scope this place out before we find someplace to sit." I'm forty-two Scope is a mouthwash. Let me tell you, I did not slow that gal down for one minute! I just watched her "scope" and she knew exactly what she was doing. She found a group of good looking guys and just meandered slowly, but with a determination to where they were. The girl knew how to Scope. Like I said we had a really good time together. We had adventure after adventure. She was living with me when I met the Curtain Rod Salesman, but she doesn't remember it. Hmm and here I thought that was a fun time.
We went all over the place and met more characters; some were good some were not. She learned that oil needed to be changed occasionally so that the motor in your car doesn't give out loud knocks! She learned that speeding in Iowas means that you have to pay their ticket that was awarded her. If not, you license gets suspended without your knowledge.
6 years old
She is an artist!
She ended up getting married, and adopting a cute set of twin boys. And guess what, the "bag lady" ended up with grandchildren. Look at these cute little guys. The bag lady is easily confused nowadays though, I asked her if she wanted a picture of the baby and she said, "what baby, I'm so confused." I told her I was going to use that and she laughed and said, "I'd be disappointed if you didn't." She loves them to pieces. She has developed an interest in decorating cupcakes, and cooking with every new kitchen appliance that comes on the market. She has an infinity for new and/or newer cars. She lives in cold country so she needs to plow through snow with her vehicle.
She is looking forward to retiring in just a few years. In fact she talks about that a lot! I wonder what Bag Lady will do in her retirement years. Probably go out of her mind. No, she'll probably Scope out the job market for young retirees. Love you, girl. Oh, we did have some fun times, didn't we?

1 comment:

  1. We had awesome fun for a generation gap in age. It didn't seem to make any difference. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete