Friday, May 4, 2018

We Should All Have Had Curvature Of The Spine!

In the 1940's  or thereabouts, a horrible thing I called nylons, were invented. They originated from cheaper materials like rayon. We called them nylons, which they eventually were made from. They were also made from silk. Ladies would actually receive from a gentleman a beautifully wrapped box with silk stockings encased with tissue paper. That gift was a very intimate one given by a serious beau or husband.
Hose by any name was the bane of my existence! In the 1950's they had seams up the back. They had to be straight from the point of the back of your shoe to the end of the stocking. In order to do this you had to either have someone "spot" you or you had to continually look back to see if the stupid seam was straight. It 
These stockings were held in place by garters that were attached to a garter belt. The garter belt was worn on top of your panties, or...you wore a girdle which had attached garters. It was a designers dream and a consumer nightmare!!
I will never forget the day I purchased my first pair of pantie hose; they had no seams! It was like being given the rest of my life on a silver platter. I could again, be spontaneous and do whatever I wanted to without planning an extra fifteen minutes of screwing around with those silly seams.
My mother was a lovely woman, but at times she muttered things under her breath that weren't so "lovely." One time I heard her talk about a woman with crooked seams. She said, "She must have had to get up extra early this morning to get those seams that crooked." Yup, that was my mom. I had to laugh to myself because the woman she was talking about was a high society woman in the little town where I grew up.
Oh, and we always had to carry a purse that had a bottle of clear fingernail polish in it. These silly things would get runs! If by pure luck you caught a "run" before it went haywire, you could dab a bit of fingernail polish on it which would stop it. Then when you got home you would forget about it and it would rip from your leg and then the lovely stockings were trashed.
Now days, the seamed hose are pictured as something sexy by many and are very expensive. I just saw some that were for sale on line for over forty dollars. Good for them.
Then fashions have changed in this day and age. Women don't wear hose for the most part. Well, I have my own way of doing things. If I want to I will. If I don't I won't. Hmm, kind of sums up my personality. I don't know that to be a fact, but I have been told that.
Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment