Wednesday, May 2, 2018

The House Dress

As the majority of you know I am taking care of my very elderly mother-in-law. Some of you are aware also that the very elderly always complain about being cold even though the room that they are in is in fact very warm. I learned early on in my career of long term care that the care givers had to be very careful not to let them pile on the covers and/or layer their clothing to excess. The folks would get way too hot and could possibly cause a severe case of over heating of themselves if they weren't monitored carefully.
Well, this subject is a priority since I have been taking care of this sweet lady. She is always cold. That isn't a problem since I am here and she is not able to over heat herself due to her immobility.
Then the thermometer outside for the last three days has zoomed up to over eighty degrees. M.S. does not like heat. Yes, I am much better, however, I am still symptomatic in most areas. 
Last year I ordered somethings out of those freebie catalogues that you get in the mailbox. I know, I shouldn't have, but this order turned out to be just what the doctor ordered for my new "job." A house dress just like my mother and my grandmother and her mother before her wore. These little dresses are lightweight, colorful, and really comfortable. Oh, I forgot, cheap!!
When I was just a little girl I saved my quarter a week allowance for months to buy Christmas presents for my family. This picture is a photo of my mother that was in the Cherokee Daily Times with her Kitchen Aide Mixer. I cannot be certain, but I think I bought that house dress she is wearing at Penny's for a little bit more than two dollars. We had no air conditioning in our old farm house. She had her stoves going all the time it seemed. This little house dress was cotton. The days of polyester were not heard of yet.
I am not very lady like when I wear my little house dresses, but I am cool without having to turn on the fans and air yet. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Do you have the story that was in the paper? If not, maybe we could find it in the newspaper archives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I'll have to look. That will give me something to do! Thanks, Pam.

      Delete