Saturday, June 30, 2018

I Can Pencil You In At 2:00 P.M.

Marie using her Mom hand!
In November of 2017 I started a Facebook closed group to keep my mother-in-law's family informed of her health status. At one point she was very ill. My husband and I decided to share her huge accumulation of photos and memorabilia with her family on both sides; maiden and married. The three days of taking photos of photos of  her family and posting them I learned so much about them I actually felt like I knew more about his mom's family that she was born into than my husband did. What a legacy they left for future generations!
During this process I became Facebook friends with many of Marie's nieces and nephews. I also became aware of birthdays, anniversaries, and illnesses, births, and one death that I remember. I learned about their families, hobbies, sense of humors, and fur babies. I learned to love some of these folks that I had never even seen pictures of. Many folks use pictures of pets, cartoons, silhouettes or hobbies as profile pictures.
I knew some of Marie's grandchildren, but not well. I also knew some of her greats and great great grandchildren. Most of her grands, greats, and great greats live far away so getting to actually know them is not feasible.
This information is a lead in to what my nature is. I am a worrier. I have mentioned this before. If Marie gets sick, I worry. If my grandchildren get hurt or sick I worry. This trait skipped a generation to my maternal grandmother. She was the family worrier.
Well, one of Marie's nieces had an operation that went south. I worried. She had to have another operation to fix the first operation. I really worried. I like her. She has a sense of humor that just fits into my style; love it.
This is what I said to her the other day: "Should I worry about you? I have a couple of hours free this afternoon that I could do that for you." She didn't answer me directly, but I think I could hear her smile at me.
100 Years 100 degrees
Isn't worrying actually another word for caring? I care very much for my extended family. Marie's family love her as do I. Marie loves them very much. Therefore, since I am a member albeit by marriage, I can pencil people into my "worry schedule" as I wish.
Hopefully we will be celebrating Marie's 103rd birthday in a few days. I will have another opportunity to get to know more about some of her family. That will make my "worry" schedule with more folks to schedule.

1 comment:

  1. I posted this picture of Marie because it is so typical when she was telling a story.

    ReplyDelete