Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Hello, Guess What?

I tended to be independent when I was about forty, or thirty, or twenty or even about fifteen. Any way one day I saw an ad for a lake house at an extraordinarily good price so I bought it. When my husband called he said like always, “so what’s been going on?” So I said, “Well, I bought a lake house today.” He calmly said, What?? Okay. We laughed about that for years. Except on the day that he left it wasn’t mentioned.

Of course, we loved the lake and the house, but we didn’t have a boat. There sat the dock just as nice as can be, but no boat. Once again I found myself looking in the want ads. You have to understand that I knew nothing about boats, motors, trailers etc. But I called about it and I even negotiated the price. I told them I would have to talk to my husband about it. I was told that they needed a check that day or lose it. Well, you guess it, I bought it. Once again, the familiar voice saying, “so what’s going on?” This time my voice was a little tremulous when I said, “Welllll, I bought a boat today.” This time there was silence. He quietly asked me what I bought, if I had the money in the bank etc. Then again he quietly asked me if I would PLEASE not buy anything else until he got home. I assured him that I would not. You know that has been so long ago I don’t remember if I kept that promise or not.

2 comments:

  1. MY bet would be that was a very hard promise to keep! LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just don't know the half of it lol

    ReplyDelete