Friday, March 26, 2010

When The Red Light Is On..............

That’s an interesting title isn’t it? Well, I had an interesting day and evening yesterday. I decided that my desktop computer was so slow that something had to be done.

The first thing I did was to check to see how many fragmented files I had. Oh, Oh Oh!!! Those were supposed to be taken care of on a schedule. That took forever to get that taken care of. The next thing on my “task list” was to clean up the disk drive. I kid you not there were over two million temporary files to be compressed.

The next thing that had been driving me nuts was my software that I use for pictures and videos and slideshows etc. Remember I said it crashed so I couldn’t show the video of the snowstorm? Well yesterday was the day to download a new software program. I love it. Just love it. It is fast and easy and most of all smooth and the pictures are so perfect.

Well about seven o’clock last night when I usually write my stories, nothing worked. My laptop didn’t work. So then I went out to the desktop and low and behold it didn’t work either. I have a router that joins them together, but that wasn’t registering with me. Of course, if one didn’t work the other one wouldn’t work. So I did what I knew what to do, I rebooted them, then I rebooted them. All to no avail. My husband came to say goodnight and said, “what are you doing?” I said, “oh nothing.” Ha! I just didn’t want to admit what was going on. I was sure he would blame me for cleaning up the computer. Lol

I started try to diagnose the problem myself. Finally I went to bed. When I woke up this morning I knew exactly what was wrong. The server was down! In the old days the “server” was a six foot thing with a bunch of wires that hooked about fifty computers together where I worked. Now a server is this unknown “thing” that determines whether or not my computer works.

I checked again and there was a little red light that was flashing on the modem. Red to green, red to green, etc. I thought that it just didn’t look right. Sooo I logged off, shut the computer off and unplugged it. I drank my coffee and in about three or four minutes, YES!!!!!! I am sure that service call would have cost about eighty dollars. I am so happy with myself.



I am going to see my daughter and her family for a few days. I will miss you, but will see you soon.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have a wonderfull time visting! I may be headed to VA and I have not been home since 2008...I am ready!

    ReplyDelete