Thursday, March 29, 2018

Little Actually Needs To Be Said

I am sitting here this morning drinking my coffee and thinking about today's post.
I have been taking care of my deaf mother-in-law for almost four months now. In the beginning she talked and talked and talked!
Marie loved to tell stories and I wrote them down as fast as I could.
She no longer talks unless she is angry, then she can shout, but one word only. Once in a great while she will say something out loud, but seldom does she do that. We use a dry erase board for our conversations.
Yesterday she told me a story about one of her grandchildren with her fingers.
Yes, with her fingers. I told her that I had put a picture on the computer with her carrying wood. And the story started.....
I messaged the granddaughter and she verified everything that Marie had said with her fingers. I got to thinking about conversations at our house that are silent or one to five word sentences.
Some sentences are one word: Hey! Stop! Supper! You get the drift of that. More is said with one or two words than the one word. Supper can mean, "supper is ready, we are having home made soup. Are you hungry yet, do you want to eat in the kitchen or the living room? " See no need for all those extra words.
 They get the job done with little effort.
Then there are sentences that little ones used to say, eat!, out! up!, NO!
Now days at our house I live in relative silence. I am used to silence so the television drives me crazy. I constantly ask Fran to turn it down. His hearing isn't as good as it used to be. If he turns it down he can't hear it very well.
So you folks are getting stories because the computer is in another room far away from the television.
Here are bits of conversation from last night at our house:
Supper's done.
Time to eat.
It's good.
What's on tonight?
Then we got unexpected company! He had to talk for at least five minutes and it was difficult let me tell you. I have the ability to snicker to myself. It was such fun.
At nine o'clock I said, "I'm going to bed." He said, "Goodnight."
You just can't hardly get a good argument going with conversation like that.
However, to end this conversation with a very happy note the last words that were spoken were two word sentences, "Love you." from both of us.
Can't beat that conversation with a stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment