Sunday, March 25, 2018

When Old Friends Visit Around My Kitchen Table

When you walk through the door at Lu's Place you will notice that I talk about most anything. You will hear stories about the really old days, you will hear stories about my activities now compared to the days thirty years ago.
You might even hear stories that make you laugh!
Today I thought about not writing a post because I had nothing to talk about. My husband always laughs when I say something like that. I wonder why.
Well I began to think about the early seventies. I was a young mom and wife of my middle twenties.
In the seventies my husband and I lived in a small community of about two thousand more or less.
My late husband grew up there and had great memories of being a youngster and living with his eleven brothers and sisters. Yes, he had a very large family.
In the seventies I was a stay at home mom with two children about two and four. It seemed like the ideal life. We had no money, we had a huge house and we had lots of friends and family that were such fun they were our friends too.
In those days, we got up early, fixed breakfast for our families, got our husbands off to work and then the rest of the day was ours.
The most fun part of those days for me was the coffee clutch.
The "coffee" gatherings were mostly in the afternoon. My kids were the youngest and not in school yet. So...my kids took a nap!
One day there were about four of us in my kitchen gossiping, laughing, talking about each other terrible like best friends do.
I always liked a centerpiece on my table. This particular day I had a bowl of fruit sitting in the middle of the table.
As one friend was peeling an orange she said, "I just really don't like oranges." Well the chatter stopped and we all just stared at her while she was peeling this orange, wondering what she was going to do with it.
We started looking at each other, smirking, and could hardly stand not laughing out loud. She just ignored us and ate that orange! Oh we teased her and teased her. Such fun we had. She is one of the characters of my life that I haven't seen for forty-five years that I would love to have just one more coffee clutch with.

No comments:

Post a Comment