Saturday, March 24, 2018

Time Travel To The Past Not The Future

Me At 7 months 1944
Time travel is usually presented towards the future, not the past. Today while Marie and I were watching Little House On The Prairie they were celebrating Founders Day in Walnut Grove.
They had no cell phones, they had picnics on the ground most generally sitting on quilts that the ladies had made.
The kids had 3 legged races, spinning the wagon rim, and of course, the fastest runner race.
The women baked pies to see whose was the tastiest, the men actually had axe contests to see who could chop a large log about twelve inches around, in two pieces the fastest.
Marie enjoys watching these old shows even though she can't hear and her vision is poor. The whole time we were watching I thought about last week when our telephone and internet was out of service. I was a bear to live with.
In Laura Ingalls Wilder days they didn't miss what they had never had.
There was always a lesson to be learned in this series. Today's show, as you could expect was sportsmanship and the lack thereof, in some cases.
Nellie usually cheated, and Mr. Ingalls always showed respect for the older weaker folks.
I thought about my grandmother that stayed home from my mother and father's wedding because her precious chicks were going to hatch. I still to this day can't understand that, but meat was a precious commodity which was eaten in the winter time because of my grandmother's ability to preserve and can.
When I was a child the Laura Ingalls Wilder books were brand new and I read them so fast my mother was concerned that my comprehension could not be good enough to remember the stories. She was not realizing that at such a young age of ten I was living vicariously through Mrs. Wilder's books.
 We would go to the library on Saturdays and I would check out at least seven books to read until the next week. I was always through with them before the next Saturday.
My mother realized that my imagination would be my companion for my whole life. At this point of almost seventy-four years I am doing what my mother always wanted me to do; writing children's stories for the very young child. I still can think like a child and love seeing them laugh and learn.
I love visiting with you and hope that you follow my blogs and enjoy them as much as I enjoy writing them.
See you soon.
My sister, Rosie holding me and my grandmother, Lulu Banister






No comments:

Post a Comment