Wednesday, March 21, 2018

October 2017: Where Did I Leave My Cane?

Fran and I love going to sales. Any kind of sales, yard sales, garage sales, estate sales. This includes flea markets inside and outside. I have a cane in each vehicle and 2 in the house; one on each end since we live in a mobile home.
One day in September when Fran's niece and her family was here I lost my cane. Everyone was looking all over for it because I needed it! The weekend was Labor Day and Stockton had a town yard sale day with sale after sale going on. Who knew where in the world I had left it. I figured someone had sold it on their sale. Someone found it and I was so relieved.
As time went by on into October, Fran found himself back tracking our steps looking for my cane. One day he found it at a flea market out of town and they had put it back hoping I would be back for it. They are open only 3 days a week so it took several weeks to find it. After that day, Fran and I talked and decided if I kept forgetting my cane, I probably didn't need it. I now keep it in the vehicles for "just in case" days. In case of rough ground especially. You folks that have never been dependent on a cane have no idea how freeing it is to be able to peruse narrow aisles of flea markets and not have to be reliant on a cane to help you maneuver them.
We live in a small town of 1800 people and a lot of the people in town know us by name. Fran has been singing at the Walnut Festival for years until just the last few, and of course, he sang  karaoke at the Viking Club for years before I met him. My point being is that generally when we walk into stores in town they call us by name or always smile and ask how we are doing today. I love small towns.
Getting back to flea markets. I have one flea market that knows me by name because I can even call her on the phone and ask if she has this or that. The this or that is generally something put of the ordinary for our fifth wheel, my teapot collection, or for Marie's house.
One day I asked her if she had a ceramic paper towel holder; she said she did. I couldn't believe it. I wanted it for the fifth wheel because it would be heavy for the counter and I didn't want holes drilled in the wall for a wall mount one. I love it and it is just what I wanted.
The camper is generally stocked with special purchases from flea markets.
Tomorrow I will tell you what happened in November 2017. The start of my new life. See you then.
                                                 
This little cartoon lady is no longer me!!

                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment