Sunday, July 12, 2009

4-H Club





I have written about my fourteenth year, but I left something out. I left out 4-H. I mentioned it briefly a few posts ago when I baked an angel food cake with a huge hole in it which the judges missed.
4-H provided girls to socialize with several age groups of girls, and we had group leaders that supervised us and kept us not only in line, but focused on our projects. My memory fades in and out on this subject but I still have my booklets for 1958 1959. I remember baking clover leaf rolls and like I said the angel food cake. I may have made an apron for the fair also.
Our group was called the Cherokee Cloverettes. It’s senior leaders were Mrs. Leo Cosgrove and Mrs. Glen Sangwin.
There were several different clubs that attended the rally. I thought at first that they were just county clubs, but some counties had several clubs.
We also sang songs, what is music without homemade songs? I looked these songs up on the computer and had no luck. Some of you may remember them. 4-H Field Song, Fare Thee Well, Come to the Fair, Litany Of 4-H Blessings, Sing Your Way Home, and Weggis Song were just a few of them that we sang with vigor!
We had lots of parties. Some parties we had just because it was a particular good thing to do or so we thought.
We had installation ceremonies of new members which impressed me with uniforms, candles on the table, flowers, etc. I enjoyed 4-H it gave me a sense of belonging other than to church related activities. Personally I think that we all need that sense of belonging, whether it be a social organization, a loving family or a place of worship.

4 comments:

  1. I enlarged the picture and figured out who everyone was:
    Lu, Margaret Patterson, Sharon McClaren, Becky Johnson, Jo, Maxine Eischen and behind Sharon & Becky is Carolyn Van Amberg and behind Lu and Margaret is Maxine Ross. In the top picture is Mrs. Williams who was my leader for the Cherokee Comets. Mrs Cosgrove had the Cloverettes but I can't remember who helped her because I don't think it was Mrs. Sangwin as I know her daughter Sandy (we played cards with her and her husband when we lived there) and I don't remember Sandy ever being in 4-H with me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just figured out that her name was not Maxine Ross but Maureen Ross --- sorry!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. but Jo you got to give me credit I remembered Mrs. Williams name when we visited this afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  4. You girls certainly do have good recall for names and faces. I am envious!

    ReplyDelete