Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Rememberer Is Broke




I got a forward last night from my friend in South Dakota. I have known her for years and is about my age. She knows about my disease and with its wonderful side effects. It sometimes slams against me like a hurricane, except out of the blue with no warning. That was sarcasm folks!
Anyway this forward said what I have been thinking for about seventeen years. My rememberer is broke. My forgetter’s getting better though. That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but neither does Multiple Sclerosis.
Last night we were invited out to dinner at some folk’s home that Fran knew very well from days gone by. I knew them only slightly. They are very nice people, but I didn’t know how they would react to a full blown onset of M.S.
The first thing I did while walking with my cane was tell the lady who knew only that I couldn’t sing anymore, was that we would have to play charades because my word finding skills are about gone. She did very well. I like it when people laugh and tease me and get into the game with me. It makes me feel less self-conscious. We had baked potatoes and I asked for the ice cream. Now that one had her stumped. It took me a while to rerun that one in my mind to reveal why every one was looking at me funny. And besides that I never did get ice cream I got sour cream instead.
I have a very special friend that has always been there to interpret for me when I can’t say what I mean. Where were you last night, dear friend?

2 comments:

  1. Mine is broke too and I don't have a good reason like you do! Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. now this good friend knows to put "stuff" on the table in original cartons.duuuuhhhh,tater in frount of you needs butter & sour cream does it not?don't seem too hard to me,BUT I KNOW YOU'R LINGO!!HELPS LOTS!!!

    ReplyDelete