Thursday, July 30, 2009

News In Cherokee In April 1960







Most people that know me think that I am funny, a bit eccentric, but I think most people like me because I am those things. Well I have been so ill for the last few weeks but now I am so much better that I wanted to write again. Well as you know if you are going to write about something you have to have ideas and perhaps something to prove that you know what you are talking about. So I started digging through the box that smells musty and looks disgusting. See that’s what makes me all excited because I have no clue what I am going to find, so it is like opening up a Christmas present.
I found this old old newspaper from 1960 in that box. Now wouldn’t you think that saving a paper for almost fifty years that there would be something significant in there? No, just a one liner that somebody I used to be married to got a ticket for throwing a beer can out the window. It is a really good thing I have not saved every paper that has such interesting news in it. However, I thought I would muse through the whole paper even though it almost fell apart in my hands and smelled awful.
I want you to take a look at the cartoon. I just couldn’t believe it. It refers to health care costs in 1960. I don’t remember a problem because I didn’t have health insurance then. See it took me a long time to be a grown up with grown up concerns, didn’t it, just like the young folks today.
The grocery ads one for Miracle Whip is forty five cents. Last week my grocery store had it on sale for three dollars and ninety seven cents, limit two.
Fresh fryers are fifty seven cents each That would be about three plus dollars a piece now, if you are lucky. I love chicken gizzards and livers, so when we stopped for gas I checked to see how much they wanted for them. For half a pound it was $8.99
And the last item I am going to show you is a free baking dish at Randalls with a ten dollar order. That dish or a similar dish is selling at flea markets for ten to fourteen dollars.
Well it’s only been fifty years folks, how interesting how different and how similar many things are. Nice talking to you again!

1 comment:

  1. Fun to look through old newspapers --even if they DO smell bad -- keep those memories coming.

    ReplyDelete