Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Memories From Years Gone By










I don’t remember ever having an Easter egg hunt outside when I was young, but one either Saturday or Sunday my dad “hid” egg candy in plain view for us to find. He put them on top of the door jams in window sills etc. because they were CANDY not eggs! Oh well, it was fun and so much out of character. And dad enjoyed eating the candy because it was way too sweet for me. Yuk!

I am sure you have heard that when you get older or sicker your short term memory fades, but your long term memory is pretty much down to the detail perfect! Well, not always especially with me, but it is much better than the short term. I remember what my dress and shoes looked like when I was in sixth grade. I think it was important for two things. I wore my first pair of knee high nylons. Second reason I got a new pair of new shoes, they were white which was fine. White was acceptable on or after Easter. However, they had a tiny little heel on them. I was so proud. You also know the saying, “pride goeth before the fall?” Well the next thing my dad said, “You have really big feet. I am going to call you slough foot.” Oh, boy yeah that hurt. I knew he was teasing, but I was always a big girl and didn’t need reminding. Mom stepped in and said her favorite thing when he upset her, “Ray!” She never called him by his name, then he changed tunes and said that a great building needed a firm foundation. Oh well, the damage had been done. You have to keep in mind I was eleven.

Now to the good stuff. My dress was purchased yes, not home made, at Penny’s. It was light baby blue with white Polka Dots that were tiny. The neckline was rolled from shoulder to shoulder. I was not able to find anything like it on the computer. It had three quarter length sleeves, a tight bodice and a wide belt. The skirt was about twelve inches from the floor and was pleated with six inch pleats. Now how about that for a memory?

I wore a ponytail with curly bangs. I really was quite cute. My new spring coat cost twelve dollars. It was a baby chick yellow and was kind of spongy. Rosie, my sister had a white one. We looked very nice and mother reminded us that pretty is is pretty does. Yes, mother. Her quotes still haunt me. Lol I hope all of you have a Happy Easter, beautiful weather and spread and receive lots of joy.

1 comment:

  1. So wish you had a picture! I don't think girls care about having big feet as much anymore? But I know they used to! We are both slough footed. lol Love you.

    ReplyDelete