Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Me And Johnny Appleseed









I kind of knew what Johnny Appleseed felt like today. Fran had cut down three trees this spring. My rule and a lot of people’s rule is if you cut down a tree, you plant one. We had always wanted some fruit trees. Well, we are in our sixties, we certainly don’t plan way into the future, but I surely do want to see these trees that Fran planted today bear fruit.

The other day we planted lilac bushes and a mock orange. We also planted some double daffodils that were yellow. My friend said she would like some white ones. When we were at Fran’s rental house there were some white ones in the timber that surrounds his land. He dug up six of them and planted them in amongst the yellow flowers. He was going to get my friend some too. I got to looking at them and I said, “ I sure hope those aren’t wild onions!” Fran said that he was wondering the same thing. I broke off a stem and rubbed it between my fingers and decided that it was absolutely not a wild onion, but we couldn’t figure out what they were. We then named them a wild flower. That fits, don’t you think? Any way they were very pretty.

Back to the trees. I have told you in the past that Fran and I love to go to the flea market. The Amish sell a lot of things there. Today I bought a large loaf of whole wheat bread and four fruit trees. We bought two Jonathon apple trees and two peach trees. The peach trees are a new breed. You can slice them and leave them out and they won’t turn brown. So another words, they are low acid. We spent less than half the price of nursery price for the trees.

Hopefully we will not be like Johnny Appleseed and will be able to eat the fruit from the trees that we planted. What fun that will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment