Sunday, April 18, 2010

How Come Mama? Why? Huh?


This morning Maggie and I were out on the porch with our eyes closed, but not snoozing. We were listening to spring. We heard the birds chattering, especially the woodpeckers making all kinds of noise. Our poor light pole must have a lot of damage on its top. We could also hear wild turkeys in the timber across the road. We could hear flies buzzing as well as bees. Earlier she and I had gone for a walk. It was down right cold and I threw on Fran’s old red sweatshirt. Whoa a hummingbird dive bombed me! I thought what in the world…then I thought about my red shirt. They are so attracted to red. The doves are about the last couple of days, their cooing is so pleasant to my ears.

As we were sitting there just soaking up the spring sounds, I thought about my little folks about forty years ago. They thought spring was wonderful after months of brown. They wanted to know why the grass was green and why the sky was blue. I am sure a lot or most parents have to answer these questions or at least bluff their way out of it. I think my answers had something to do with God’s angels thought the colors were really pretty; then changed the subject very quickly. It really didn’t help they thought of more and more questions. They were on a roll. When I complained to my mother she just laughed and laughed. She said that my dad complained to her all the time about my chatter and my incessant questions when I was little. I smiled to myself because I hardly ever knew my dad to become irritated. Oh how I miss their chatter!


2 comments:

  1. A note to friends and relatives, I think I heard somewhere that a very intelligent child is curious and asks a lot of questions. Ahem!

    ReplyDelete