Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cabin Fever And Playing Cards

I think that it is sad how things change. When I was a child my parents played cards with their friends. They played Rook. They seemed to have a good time. There was a lot of loud laughing; yes even my mother loved it. This didn't happen in the summer because there was too much work to do on the farm. In the winter the only thing that was a must was caring for the animals. Sometimes that was a terrible job. We lived in Iowa and for those of you that are familiar with the midwest, you know how terribly cold it is in the winter. The animals have to be fed, sheltered, and watered. The water had to be tended to, to make  sure it didn't freeze. So there was an element of Cabin Fever. There is only so much laundry, cooking, and answering little girl's constant questions. I have been told I was a little stinker. Hmm.
I had no idea that retirement would mean that I could play cards any time I wanted to. I especially like to play cards in the morning. Morning is the best part of my day. Usually my words make sense, my thinking is more clear. Ahh, on to my subject; cards. In order to play cards you do have to think.
Yesterday we played a game called Phase 10. I think I have talked about it before. The first game was wonderful; I won! I can't believe it!  Then we made the mistake of playing a second game. Oh, brother, what a mess. My friend said, "You just slowly went down hill."  Ya think?  lol  I have to laugh. If I didn't the world would not be a fun place to live. Thank goodness God gave me a good sense of humor.
My daughter's group of friends watch movies, they don't play cards or go dancing. I think something happened to skip a generation. Those "Kids" don't know what they are missing!

No comments:

Post a Comment