Saturday, January 22, 2011

Memories, Loss, Sadness






I know how sad I feel when the seasons change, because each season is my favorite. I love the spring roses, the changing of the fall leaves, the summer season brings the green grass and hummingbirds. Then there is winter. The pure white snow covers the gray branches with little tufts of white and the sunshine makes little sparkly diamond like sequins that makes winter my favorite season too.

I have sadness today because my very best friend is losing her battle with independent living and needed to go to a skilled care center. We talked today about what wonderful memories we made and agreed that we were a famous duo!

As she was getting admitted I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach. But then I noticed how the people that worked there genuinely loved her. She had worked there for over twenty years.

Soon some of the other residents asked her to join them to go outside to smoke. While she was outside, they told her about their activities, the rules of the smoking, schedules of meals etc.

She came back inside and told me that she might even play bingo to pass the time away. She told me a long time ago that she would never, ever, play bingo!

Her new room is lovely; even with her own little refrigerator, recliners, a table and chairs and very nice furniture. And she made a beauty shop appointment within the first hour. Hmm. I don’t see this as a loss for her, just perhaps for me. However, I don’t feel sad anymore, because she adjusted to her new “home” within a hour or two, at least a little.

Thanks for all the good memories my dear friend.










No comments:

Post a Comment