Saturday, April 11, 2009

Progress My Foot!!!




I ordered a “newspaper” for my friend for her sixty fifth birthday. She loves this newspaper, but had no access to it since she retired. When I ordered it I thought about ordering me a subscription too, but I thought “no” I don’t need it.
My mother always got this newspaper. She ordered patterns out of it, she copied or cut recipes out of it, and I heard her discuss news articles with my dad and other ladies that was in this newspaper. It also had stories in it. The picture here is of a Grit magazine I believe in 1982
Many people ordered this publication because it was not full of blood and gore and dismal headlines like the daily newspapers were.
My friend came to visit today and gave me her first copy of her “Newspaper”. It was a magazine. I said, “What’s this?” Of course, it was obvious. I said, “Well, it looks like a magazine.” After she left, I went through it page, by page, no patterns for sewing or crocheting, or knitting. I didn’t see any recipes, however she did say she cut out two; there were no current events at all. Blood, gore, and war can be left out of little newspapers, but everything was left out but features In my opinion, that’s not progress.
Keith, featured in this magazine was pie plant, anybody know what that is? Please post your comments.

4 comments:

  1. As a kid I used to toss newspapers in the morning. The McLaughlin’s had a huge “pie plant” patch in their back yard. With salt shaker in my pocket, and a bit of early morning stealth, a pie plant stalk would provide that extra bit of pucker I needed to get through my route. Winter time was rough though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, fill me in. No clue on the pie plant. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Mel, I love you dearly, but you have to wait for the others to post their comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. rhubarb -- when we moved to Colorado in 1973, we rented a house in the country (and later bought it) and in the spring we noticed that we had rhubarb. Each spring my family can't wait until mid-end of May when I make the first pie. I make it in a 9x13 cake pan -- much easier than trying to put it in one of those round pie tins.

    ReplyDelete