Monday, April 20, 2009

Sibling Rivalry




When people bring a new baby home, they expect some problems from the short people that were there first. So sometimes grandparents come laden with gifts not only for the new baby, but for the brother or sister or both.
Fran and I have no children at home or so we thought. As you know from reading the posts we have a new puppy, Maggiemae. One day when we were outside, Maggie lunged at Alex, the sheltie and he growled and bared his teeth. I thought he was going to make Maggiemae his lunch. I also thought good for him. Maggie needed to learn that big brother is about one hundred times bigger than she is and she should learn her place.
Day before yesterday Alex ran away from home; and he stayed gone. He was so jealous of Maggie that he wouldn’t even look at us when Fran’s sister-in-law found him and brought him home. He had gone mushroom hunting with them because we had no time for him. He figured we had Maggiemae and on and on. His face speaks volumes.
I tried and tried to make up to him and told him how much I missed him. He looked at me just a little bit and ambled down the hill so he couldn’t see me.
About an hour later I called Alex. He did come to me this time and laid his head on my leg like normal and “talked” to me. He always talks to me, that’s what made me feel so bad.
Alex has had a really bad year; his mom, Princess got run over and killed, and now a new pup. Some things are just too much for a fella to handle.
I may add I gave Alex a great big new bone and I got no credit whatsoever for that, just a doleful look that said, “This doesn’t cut it lady.”

No comments:

Post a Comment