Thursday, April 9, 2009

Visiting Our Parents' Special Friends





My memory fades as I try to remember the special friends that my mother and father had in those days. I can remember visiting them only once or twice. I remember the lady was quiet and very soft spoken, but the man was loud and swore something fierce.
One Sunday afternoon we went to visit them. I remember they lived out in the country. The lady got ice cream and cookies for us and coffee for the grown-ups. Now I remember, the man’s name, it was Percy.
As was the norm, the children were sent to the parlor trying desperately not to spill the ice cream on my dress or the floor. While I was eating, I listened to the grown-ups visit.
I had never heard such language in my life. He swore so much, he divided words with swear words. I listened and listened and then the unheard of thing happened. I started to giggle, and then laugh really hard. The language that this man used was so profane that it was funny. I had only heard those words at church and there it was really serious.
My laughing embarrassed his wife, my mother and got me admonished for my behavior. I thought, “My behavior, If I had talked like that I would have been severely punished.” I was talked to all the way home that day. However, I always wanted to go back again to listen to that man talk.

1 comment:

  1. Short round bald-headed guy? I may have met him later - in his more mellow days. What did Mother call his language - Salty?

    ReplyDelete