Saturday, April 25, 2009

Still In The Fifties Tonight






Fran and I are going to a “sock hop” tonight at the club where we sing. What a big tado about nothing, right? Wrong. There is a lot of work singing the right songs and wearing the right earrings, and the right get up that we used to wear.
First of all I wanted to wear a full circle skirt like I used to wear and a couple of can cans. After I searched the internet under vintage and antique (I am beginning to hate those two words) I discovered that I needed some real cash to buy what the computer called “costumes.” So Fran drove me to several flea markets. I thought to myself after we had “visited” several of them that I had not realized how young the people are that work at flea markets and antique stores. When I asked for can cans one of them said, “Can what?”
So time was running short and I decided I would wear pedal pushers and anklets and rollers in my hair with a scarf tied around them. Fran did not have a hissy, but gently said, “Why don’t you just wear a scarf?” He is not one to draw attention to himself, so he is not getting into the fifties dress up thing. So, of course, I did not have any pedal pushers, but I did have some blue jean capris, and some red tennis shoes that I bought at Walmart for three dollars years ago that nobody else wanted. So I am sitting here in front of the computer, exhausted from rolling my hair up in rollers, and tying the ugliest scarf around them red and yellow). I have ludicrous earrings that hang down to my shoulders. I am very disappointed though because the collar on my only long white shirt is not stiff enough to stand up like we used to wear them. I am going to post a picture of me in 1959 and one in 2009. There is very little similarity and personally I think I look much better in 1959. Why wouldn’t I, I was only fifteen!!!
I am going to sing a Patsy Cline song tonight called, “He Called Me Baby” and a Paul Anka song, called, “Puppy Love.” My luck every one has chosen the same songs and so I will have to sing something else. One thing about it, I generally sing songs from the fifties anyway, so I am all set.
I don’t know about you, but I loved the fifties. The most horrible thing I can remember doing is four of us sharing a beer. Now that is down right felonious!

No comments:

Post a Comment