Thursday, April 16, 2009

True Confessions




My mother had a little “thing” is what she would call it. Interesting my sister would have called it the same thing. I think some of the things that we end up doing or saying are definitely learned, but we can choose what we want to do with what we have learned whether it be in our home or just in our environment as a whole.
Mom’s little “thing” was a magazine called “True Confessions” or “True Story”. She loved them both. The first time I realized that mom loved these magazines, I found one under her pillow when she asked me to straighten her bed. That lends my brain to think my mother didn’t want me to see the magazine!
I watched to see if Mom would ever read this little magazine when I was around; she did not. Well, anyone that knows me, a mystery is something I love. I was not going to leave this alone.
One day mom went out to the garden and I went to see if there was a magazine under her pillow, sure enough there was. Of course, I started reading it immediately. I was so disappointed. It was a mushy love story book. I put it back under her pillow. It held no interest for me at all. Interesting I thought that that magazine no longer was published, but here it is on the news stand evidently.
When I was a grown up all I ever saw mom read were good books like Readers Digest Condensed novels both fiction and nonfiction, the Bible, autobiographies and biographies etc. She always said she loved to read magazines too, because the articles were fast reading when she was busy. “Yes, Mother, I see that.” We all have our little “thing.”

2 comments:

  1. You know, that doesn't surprise me at all. I think Grandma was a bit of a snoop. I remember her standing at that window in the kitchen of her house in S. Soo, watching the comings and she always knew if the police had been there, or who wasn't there anymore but the wife was, or who had new boyfriends/girlfriends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she was a bit of a snoop, in fact, she broke her toe one night looking out the window in the dark so her neighbors wouldn't see her looking at them. I broke my toe doing the same exact thing. Like mother like daughter? lol

    ReplyDelete