Monday, April 27, 2009

Still In The Fifties (cont)













Like I said, we went to the sock hop Saturday night. I had a ball. I never saw so many poodle skirts and bobbi socks and little tennis shoes. The neck scarf was the feature accessory so when I got up to sing, they called me Mrs. Fifties. Everyone said, “Oh I remember putting my hair up on rollers, and I said, “Yes, but it didn’t take forty five minutes.” Everyone laughed.
Only one person remembered wearing a dog collar on her anklet, only one person had her hair in a big bouffant lacquered down. And one man I had to help who doesn’t smoke, roll an empty cigarette package in his shirt sleeve. Every one had fun and they danced more than usual. They loved the Puppy Love song. I think to tell the truth, they needed a slow song to dance to. The fifties had a lot of what we used to call “fast dances.”
They had a hula hoop contest, no winners in the sixty something age group. The youngsters could do it. No one in their sixties wanted to get in on the bubble blowing contest. False teeth do present a problem sometimes. And absolutely no one wanted to get in the limbo contest. One lady said she didn’t know if Medicare would pay for the ambulance in that situation.
As a side note, my hair hasn’t looked this good in a long time. Long live rollers!!

1 comment:

  1. You are so funny. Love the "don't know if Medicare will pay for this" line. You're not THAT old, Mom. ;-)

    ReplyDelete